Outwardly, Maxine gives the impression of a no-nonsense business woman with a short temper. Those people who are a bit closer to her find she can be much more sociable and warm, going out of her way to make small talk and check up on acquaintances. Her friends may find themselves 'adopted' and defended in a matronly fashion. When she remembers they exist, of course. Maxine is also known to very socially liberal and vocally against conservative values.
While she seems to readily voice her opinions and presents herself as an open book, Maxine is actually a very secretive person. Her public and home life are only layers atop very different beliefs and motivations. She holds psychics, and to a lesser extent other metahumans, as innately superior to humans. While she makes allowances for exceptional people and close friends she is quietly prejudiced against mankind, seeing them as the 'old' model.
Physically, Maxine is a darker-skinned, Hispanic woman of average height with a stocky, muscular build. She possesses multiple marks and scars gathered over the years, with a vaguely star-shaped birthmark over her right eye. As a result of her bloodline, her irises are purple. While she has taken to more feminine clothing and accessories over the years, 'Max' is unmistakably butch and prefers conservative, masculine attire.
Arturo and Carletta Guzman, Maxine's grandparents, were both potent psychics in their own time. As a result, about a quarter of the family has some level of psionic awareness. All those blessed (or cursed) with such powers have had purple eyes and an odd facial marking. Some of the following abilities are common to all psychics in the family (albeit on a weaker scale), while others Nightwave has achieved through her own experimentation.
- Psychic Manipulation - Nightwave is among the most potent and skilled mentalists in the country, able to perform a startling range of powers. Using this form of reality manipulation, Nightwave can theoretically do just about anything within the limits of her imagination and physical endurance. In most cases her body has given out before she has reached her maximum potential. Recorded uses of her power have included creating psychic constructs such as barriers and weapons, telekinesis, pyrokinesis, faster than sound flight, energy projection, instant teleportation, astral projection, long range telepathy, mind control, superstrength, and invisibility. Many of her abilities have an obvious 'tell' before they take effect, ranging from subtle twitch of her face and hands or a sudden flash of light in her eyes, to a palpable aura of purple 'fire'.
- Psychic Discorporation - Although rumors persist that she may be unkillable, other psychics and educated individuals recognize this ability for what it is. Nightwave can separate her mind and 'soul' from her body, effectively existing without it. Having been born a physical being, however, she finds this to be an extremely uncomfortable and disturbing state of existence. On the occasions where she has been forced to use this power, she always seeks to reunite with her body as soon as possible.
- Mundane Abilities - Apart from her metahuman powers, Nightwave is also capable with a handgun and basic close-combat techniques. She is fluent in English, Spanish, and Italian, as well as a small smattering of Mandarin and Russian.
- 1949 - First appearance of the Purple Falcon and Ms Midnight.
- 1951 - Arturo and Carletta are married.
- 1970 - The Falcon and Ms Midnight informally retire.
- 1976 - Their oldest son becomes the Silver Falcon.
- 1978 - Their younger son (Louis) is married. Maria is born.
- 1982 - Miguel is born.
- 1983 - Maxine is born.
- 1992 - The Silver Falcon is killed in the Battle of Detroit.
- 1993 - The Guzman clan moves to MC.
- 1996 - 'Arty' is born to Maria.
- 1998 - Maxine and Miguel join the Purple Gang.
- 2000 - Maria and her husband join the MCPD.
- 2002 - Arty manifests powers and is targeted by PSI.
- 2004 - Maria is recruited by UNTIL.
- 2006 - Miguel fakes his death after his powers manifest.
- 2008 - Maxine leaves the gang after her powers manifest.
- 2009 - First appearance of Nightwave during the Qularr Invasion.
- 2010 - Nightwave becomes the partner of Mr Blank.
- 2011 - Arturo passes away at Mercy Hospital at age 85. Miguel and Arty clash over who inherits the Falcon title. Maxine adopts Faye Carrano and becomes engaged to Blue Hour.
- 2012 - The family is investigated by Grey Hawk, with subsequent conflicts and fallout. The Siren Squad is formed.
Blue Hour - Maxine's lover and life partner, the two hit it off when Max first discovered Ellie was a huge fan of her costumed-self, Nightwave. Though Ellie is a younger hero, she has already proven her worth on a team and as an individual crime-fighter. The woman has also shown to be an excellent parent, perhaps even more so than Max herself. Ellie seems dedicated to staying by Max's side and has already weathered some of their worst trials.
Cosmic Glory - Maxine and Ellie's adopted daughter. Faye has been a major factor in Max's own maturity, and she tries her best to take on the role of parent and mentor to the young Carrano. Even more than with Blank, Maxine idolizes Cosmic Glory's virtues and believes Faye will grow up to be one of the greatest heroes of her generation. Unfortunately, it is these same moral virtues that have caused growing tension between Maxine and her daughter.
Mr. Blank – Both a mentor and a father figure, Nightwave has come to trust Blank more than any other hero. Max considers him a true friend and confident, though they have their (many) differences and disagreements. Since having struck out on her own, Max views Blank with an odd mix of respect and pity. She is one of the few people who knows how his many flaws and self-enforced isolation have crippled him as a person while making him succeed as a vigilante.
Defenders of the Earth - Nightwave was one of the frontline members of the U.N. endorsed super-team founded by Blue Bruiser. However, with half the team falling away to various ills, the Defenders seem to have no future as a group.
Siren Squad - Nightwave is the founder and current leader of the Siren Squad, a team of all female heroines acting as professional investigators. The team was brought together shortly after the resurrection of Lightwave and consists primarily of women Maxine trusts and has worked with in the past. The current roster also includes Arcane Arrow, Nightfang, Manhunt, Blue Hour, and most recently the Silver Squirrel.
What everyone else thinks about Night.
"Sadly, I don't know Max as well as I'd like. No, it's not 'cuz she's a woman. It's 'cuz from the little I've known of her, she's gone from a recovering gang member to a mother, a wife, an' a seriously legit super and detective." - Hunter
"Nightwave?...Niiiice." - Avro
"Maxine Guzman is one of the few people on the planet I'd call a friend. And most likely the only one who would call me one. Throughout the period of time in which I've known her, she's been a valuable asset, a dependable ally and...A good person. She'd have to be to put up with me." - Mr. Blank
"She is always very fun to talk to. I think that she can look intimidating, but she really is a very nice person. I think that even more people should get to know her." - Spirit/Winterstar
"Max is pretty cool, she helped me out with some...personal issues of mine a while back. She's psychic, so that's cool I guess...I dunno, I don't really trust psychics, but I definitely trust her. She has a whole lot more common sense than I do, so I guess that's cool too. Our super-names are too similar, though..." - Lightwave
"Nightwave is totawwy awesome! She's been very fwiendly and helpful with advice. I'm gwad to know her!" - Chocolate Chip Chelsea
"Spunky, disrespectful, confrontational. Good worker, but boy... does she ever phone it in on the laps." - The Blue Bruiser
"Capes are so out of style, Maxi!" - Nightfang
"I'm not sure about her. I just... I don't think she's what a hero should be. She's definitely not who I thought she was when I first met her." - Dobergirl
"Intense, driven, fierce woman. She's rough around the edges. Sometimes I get the feeling like she's trying to prove herself. Sometimes she gets a bit too intense." - Arcane Arrow
"My cousin's kind of a bitch. There's no getting around that - but no matter how much I hate some of the stuff she does, I can't really hate her. She's family." - Cardinal
Threads & Stories - Adoption? - Nothing Personal - Dreams of a Prince - A light, extinguished. - Destruction at the Museum! - All in the Family - Rain Drops - Would X Beat Y? #3 - Nightwave vs Chivalry - Contest of Champions - I (probably) Hate Your Telepath
Trivia - Maxine is inspired by three DC characters; The current Question (Renee Montoya), Scandal Savage, and Huntress. She has inadvertently developed several parallels to Dick Grayson, as she is now the Nightwing to Mr Blank's Batman. Her costume and falcon theme are similar to both Grayson and Huntress. A live-action Maxine would have to be played by Michelle Rodriguez