Born Daniel Chase in Hamilton Ontario, the young man who would eventually become Gold Rush
has struggled with depression since childhood. In May 2019 at the age of 24, he answered an online ad that promised a cure-all medication available for drug trials which included payment. Hoping to rid himself of his depression once and for all, he foolishly accepted the mysterious ad. Arriving at the location, he found a lone man in a lab coat holding a golden pill with no other volunteers or doctors. While having second thoughts, he convinced himself to go through with the testing once he saw the envelope full of cash. At first the drug seemed to have no effect, but suddenly his heart began to race until he eventually passed out.
Waking up in the back of an ambulance to a paramedic using defibrillators on him, Danny felt a surge of energy rush through his entire body before passing out once more. He regained consciousness in the hospital a day later, confused about what had happened. Even after his ordeal, the doctors could find nothing wrong with him and he was discharged. It was soon after leaving the hospital that Danny realized he'd somehow gained superhuman speed and reflexes. Pondering what he should do with his newfound abilities he eventually came to the conclusion that he should use them to help others, for it was the right thing to do.
For the next few weeks, Danny began to practice his abilities before finally going out in the field in early June. It was then that a new hero was born. As Gold Rush, he tried to help as many people as possible. This put him in conflict with gangs, thieves, dealers, and killers. He remained in Canada for two months before he decided to relocate to Millennium City in early August. M.C. proved to be a major change for Danny, as there were a far greater number of heroes that resided there than back in Hamilton. This was a somewhat daunting experience for him, since he felt he could never measure up to the likes of The Champions or any of the many other heroes that called Millennium City their home.
Another intimidating aspect of his move was that the enemies were far more dangerous than what he was accustomed to. While he was only used to facing common criminals back home, he now had to deal with the likes of super villains, robots and even demons. All these factors caused immense apprehension in Gold Rush, and he considered returning back to Canada. However he earnestly tried to overcome his fears and doubts and even though they still remain on his mind to this day, he hasn't given up yet.
Typically shy and withdrawn, Danny has fairly recently come out of his shell since he's been in Millennium City. For most of his life he never had any friends and was always single but seemingly ever since he acquired abilities, he has received a boost in courage that has allowed him to not only make friends but also find love. Danny's main drive in life is to try and aid as many people as he possibly can, and he has demonstrated a willingness to make sacrifices to achieve that goal. This drive has been with him since he was young, but he's always found it challenging to carry out that desire. With his new abilities, he finally sees himself as having a way to help more people than he ever could before.
However throughout his life he has also dealt with depression, which causes many difficulties including a severe lack of confidence in what he can do. While he has been described as friendly, caring, and even charming by some, he struggles to see any positives in himself as his prevailing doubts and insecurities prevent him from being able to appreciate who he is and what he does. His depression seems to be constant, but fluctuates to different degrees. Some days he is able to socialize and joke around with friends with no visible signs of unhappiness, while other days he finds it a challenge to leave his home and his demeanor makes him seem joyless and hopeless.
But one of Danny's greatest strengths he's exhibited, is his desire to not give up on himself or others. He has on many occasions been a positive voice to his friends and even strangers, and has shown a great optimism that's in sharp contrast to his general pessimism. It may be that positivity along with his desire to assist others, that makes him liked and loved by his friends and girlfriend. The knowledge that he is cared for provides more motivation to continue on, even though his cynicism does get the best of him at times. Although Danny doesn't really see himself as a hero, he has no doubt demonstrated an ambition and even a devotion to try and help as many as he can for as long as possible.
Powers and Skills
Speedster Physiology - As a result of the experimental pharmaceutical drug he took, Danny's entire body was physically altered. His stamina has been increased to the point where he is able to stay active and alert for almost 24 hours straight, and use his abilities for at least several hours before needing to rest. He possesses highly durable bones and tendons that act as shock absorbers while he runs, has the upper body strength to lift roughly twice his body weight (about 320 lbs) while his leg muscles are strong enough to allow him to leg press approximately 1 ton and leap to great heights. His basal metabolic rate (BMR) is several times faster than that of a normal human being, which means his body requires a higher calorie intake than the average person. Because of his accelerated metabolism, he has an immunity to the effects of alcohol and various drugs as they burn too quickly in his body to have any effect.
Gold Rush is able to heal at an astounding rate, with injuries usually healing fully anywhere from a few hours to a few days (or less) depending on the severity. His body is also entirely immune to the effects of friction as well as dizziness and vertigo, and he is more agile with a greater sense of balance. Danny's brain processes information at a greater than average speed, allowing him to perceive the world differently. His rapid thought process also gives him some resistance to telepaths, as they may find it difficult to "read" his mind. His reflexes are also far superior than that of a professional athlete due to his quick reaction time. Interestingly, there seems to be a "force field " of sorts that he generates and is able to surround those he carries that lack an enhanced physiology. Thus keeping them safe and unharmed as they travel at high speeds.
Superhuman Speed - Gold Rush is capable of running at incredible speeds, far exceeding that of the fastest human sprinter. His average speed is typically around 180-200 mph but with maximum effort, he is now capable of running at around Mach 4 (approximately 3069 mph) or four times the speed of sound. He is able to maintain supersonic speed for several minutes before needing to rest and replenish his energy. His tremendous speed allows him to run on water, move quickly enough that he can't be seen by the naked eye, and even dodge and catch bullets out of the air. While running at high speeds, Danny is still able to easily maneuver around without causing any complications due to his remarkable reaction time. Therefore, he's able to turn on a dime without having to reduce his speed as well as stop suddenly if he needs to. Using his speed he is able to also create hyperkinetic vibrations that can shatter tempered glass, as well as cause moderate to severe damage to other objects. He can also throw projectiles at extremely high speeds, which are capable of causing harm to those with enhanced durability.
Gold is able to throw a barrage of punches in rapid succession and by building enough momentum, is able to hit with devastating strength which has been shown to be able to injure beings far stronger than himself. A similar effect has been demonstrated by him while standing still, as he is able to build enough kinetic energy to strike with immense force. Gold Rush has also recently discovered the ability to vibrate his entire body or specific body parts such as his arms on a molecular level, thus allowing him to pass through solid matter for a brief period of time. However, this causes a great physical strain on his body which normally results in him passing out for varying periods of time. This means that Danny may be theoretically capable of moving at even greater speeds than Mach 4.
Improvised Brawler - By using his quick reflexes, Gold Rush has become a capable fighter and is able to hold his own against highly skilled opponents. While by no means an expert, his superior speed and reflexes give him an advantage over most foes by allowing him to react quickly to their attacks. Also thanks to his strong leg muscles he is able to deliver powerful kicks, making him even more of an effective combatant.
Novice Scout - As Danny is able to move at superhuman speeds enough to avoid detection and cover much ground quickly, he typically tries to scout ahead depending on the circumstance. When working with others, he is often employed to do this before the rest of the group moves in. This has been met with varying success however, as he generally (and perhaps understandingly given his power set) wants to move in and out of a situation in as little time as possible.
Diplomatic - While he is capable of holding his own in a fight, he often tries to avoid this when feasible and prefers to be tactful instead. This has been shown when in the field, and in his personal life with mixed results. He has also demonstrated on occasion an ability to calm a tense and heated situation, and prevent it from escalating into violence which he sees as a last resort.
Depression - Danny suffers from lifelong clinical depression which can cause him to question and even outright lose his motivation for doing everything from fighting crime, to just getting out of bed in the morning. While perhaps not as severe as it was earlier on in his life, it still prevents him from making decisions as well as causing him to doubt his own abilities. Certain occurrences even if relatively minor, tend to have more of a lasting effect on him. This has been shown to alter his mood greatly, which in turn causes him to shut down emotionally.
Hyper-metabolism - Like most speedsters, Gold Rush has an accelerated metabolism and burns calories much faster than the average human meaning he periodically requires large quantities of nutrients. If he does not intake enough calories to maintain his energy, his body begins to feel ill effects including lightheadedness and fainting.
Human Being - While possessing a unique physiology that does make him more durable than the average person, Danny is still a human being that is vulnerable to many of the various methods of injury that typical humans can succumb to.
Impulsivity - Gold Rush has demonstrated early on in his career that he can be impulsive to the point where he will run head first into a situation without a fully formed plan. It should be noted however that he has tried to correct this.
Gear and Equipment
Gold Rush Suit 4.0 -
The current version is made from light but still very strong materials, and doesn't restrict his movement. The components used are highly friction resistant and also durable enough to resist damage from physical impact, blades, and even bullets as well as protecting him from intense heat and cold. The goggles he wears also provide additional protection to his face from airborne debris, and from other harm to an extent. Although it greatly reduces the damage inflicted on him, he is still capable of sustaining moderate to severe injuries if he is not careful. Created by his ally and friend Pressure and designed by Danny.
Stealth Suit -
A suit Gold Rush uses mainly for covert night time operations. It features a full mask that covers his entire face and hair, as well as having a darker colour scheme to allow him to blend in more with the darkness. It is not as durable as his typical suit, but still offers protection from basic damage. He only uses it when stealth is an absolute necessity. The stealth suit was made by UNTIL as a gift of sorts, for Danny's repeated assistance to them.
Tech Suit -
Danny temporarily used an advanced tech suit during the time he lost his powers. The tech suit increased his speed to superhuman levels, and enhanced his strength to the point where he could lift a car. It featured a retractable rebreather that allowed him to breathe underwater, and the suit itself was durable enough to withstand the pressures of deep sea diving. It was also far more durable than his typical suit, as it was made from stronger materials. The tech suit however has limitations, including the fact that it could not mimic his naturally enhanced stamina or quick mental thought process. Also while increasing his speed to superhuman levels, it did not seem to allow him to move as fast as he could typically. With his powers restored he now seldom uses the tech suit, generally using it when he requires it's underwater breathing functions. It was designed and built by his friend Enforcer to allow Danny to continue helping others.
Pheasant Suit -
A newer special nano-fiber suit. It is more lightweight than the 4.0 suit, allowing Gold Rush to reach his maximum speed quickly and without restricting his movement. However while it is still durable, it is not as strong as the 4.0 suit forcing him to choose speed over protection. It was designed by Danny's friend and mentor Blue Pheasant.
Tactical Suit -
A brand new alternate suit used by Danny to keep a low profile on special missions. This tactical outfit is made from a sturdy material that can withstand high amounts of friction while allowing Danny to move unrestricted. It features a dark grey and black colour scheme with gold accents and has a mask covering the mouth to hide his identity. Made by UNTIL to allow Gold Rush to go on covert missions without the fear of attracting attention as a hero.
Hornet Gravbike -
A yellow and black Gravbike that was given to Gold Rush as a gift by PRIMUS for helping them reclaim their Canadian base from a group of villains. While not as fast as he is, it allows him to travel over tough terrain that he may have trouble getting over.
Vigilante Outfit -
The first outfit Danny wore when he decided to use his abilities to fight crime. It was made from basic clothing that he had available including a black hoodie jacket with yellow accents, a yellow t-shirt, finger-less gloves, sunglasses, and a scarf to cover his face. The outfit was made entirely to conceal his identity and offered no additional protection. It was only used for a few weeks until he acquired the first more "official" Gold Rush suit.
Gold Rush Suit 1.0 -
The first official Gold Rush suit, it was made from items and materials Danny purchased online. Version 1.0 contained basic padding to help decrease the damage inflicted on Danny, but otherwise offered little protection. It featured goggles that Gold Rush would typically wear on his head unless needed. It was made and designed by Danny.
Gold Rush Suit 2.0 -
The second Gold Rush suit Danny wore, it was made from durable materials that provided protection from knives and bullets. It had new reinforced boots that were made to withstand constant motion and provided extra support for Danny while he runs. It also featured new goggles that Gold Rush would always wear over his eyes that provided additional protection. While far stronger than the previous suit, it was heavier which made it more difficult for Danny to achieve his maximum speed. It was made and designed by Pressure.
Gold Rush Suit 3.0 -
The third suit Danny wore when in the guise of Gold Rush, it was identical in function to the previous suit but featured more gold colouring and less armour. It was made by Pressure with input from Danny.
Scuba Gear -
Used by Gold Rush for any missions that may take place underwater. The gear included an oxygen tank, rebreather, and a full waterproof mask that covered his hair. It was also worn over his version 4.0 suit, which helped protect him from harm. After losing his powers and acquiring the tech suit, he stopped using the scuba gear due to the tech suit's underwater breathing capabilities. Like the stealth suit, the scuba gear was given to him by UNTIL to allow Danny to safely help with any issues in Lemuria.
Girlfriend - Danny is currently dating another hero that like him, only recently started fighting crime. He has made it a point to try and keep her identity a secret as well as not displaying any signs of affection when they are both in the field, out of fear that the enemies he's made will attempt to harm her to get to him. What can be said is that they are very happy together, and she is easily the best thing in his life. Even though they have only been dating for a relatively brief amount of time, they care about each other deeply and she has brought out the best in him. Unfortunately due to Danny's upbringing and his lack of self confidence, he finds it difficult to grasp the concept that he can be loved by someone. Thankfully though, she is always there to reassure him of her feelings which has brought about a positive change in his attitude and outlook.
Since moving to Millennium City, Danny has met many friends and allies. Some of them include:
- Thundrax - The legendary Canadian hero has interacted with Danny on more than one occasion. It is unknown if Thundrax is aware of Danny's double life as Gold Rush, as they have only conversed while Danny was in his civilian persona.
- Blue Pheasant - An experienced hero/vigilante that has become a mentor-like figure to Gold.
- Atomac - A member of the Protectors of the World, Gold and Atomac have become fast friends.
- Nightingale (Gale) - The winged amnesiac who is the host to a dark magical entity. Her current status is unknown.
- Pressure - One of the first friends Danny made who possesses gravity manipulating abilities. Older brother to Gadgette.
- Gadgette - The kindhearted tech-based genius that is new to being a hero. Younger sister of Pressure.
- Nightingale (Jasmine) - The Gale who comes from a parallel universe, Jasmine is a telekinetic prodigy that is new to this world.
- Joan - A dragon-human hybrid that is as funny and caring as she is tough and strong.
- Frostborn - The brave cryokinetic hero from Greenland that worships the Norse gods.
- Ireum Eobseo - A lovable and friendly assassin that is an unfortunate servant to the New Celestial Empire (NCE).
- Imitere - A compassionate woman with a mysterious past, who only wants to make up for her mistakes. Adoptive mother to Cody.
- Prism - A flirtatious photokinetic hero who like Danny, is just trying to find happiness and stability.
- Cody - A brilliant and enthusiastic wingless gryphon from a far away world. Adopted son of Imitere.
- Lem - The young wizard from New Zealand that specializes in healing life magic.
- Jawsome - A college student turned humanoid shark that simply wants to be human again.
- Enforcer - A strong and loyal ex-soldier with a gift for inventing advanced tech suits.
- Blair - The stylish Zyncho from another Earth that does mercenary work on the side.
- Disparaged - Close friend and former squad mate of Enforcer. Was tragically killed by Therakiel's followers.
It was inevitable that trying to fight crime would cause Gold Rush to make enemies. Among the worst of them include:
- Carter Slade (J.J. Sullivan) - The clever and brutal leader of the Outlawz street gang, Slade was the first personal enemy of Gold Rush. Being a normal human, many (including Gold himself) underestimate him and what he is capable of. His tenacity combined with his gang's use of military-grade weapons, makes him a deadly foe. [Currently Incarcerated]
- Bone-Chiller (Billy) - A mentally unstable and disfigured cryokinetic criminal. Not much is known about him, other than his motivation seems to be revenge for his feelings of rejection by humanity. [Currently Incarcerated]
- Varanus (Clarence O'Neil) - Was a simple security guard, until he was experimented on and became a powerful humanoid lizard. His mind now warped, Varanus wants to make "lizard-people" the dominant lifeform on Earth. [Currently Incarcerated]
- Techla (Roberta Maria Calver) - The self proclaimed "super genius super villain", Techla looks down on others she sees as having an inferior intellect. Although human, she uses technology of her own design to commit her crimes. [Currently Incarcerated]
- Freakshow (Real Name Unknown) - Perhaps the most sadistic enemy Gold Rush has faced yet, the savage cannibalistic woman known only as Freakshow seems to want to cause as much pain and suffering as possible. [Currently Incarcerated]
- Artillery (James Leonard Owens) - An ex-marine and ex-con proficient with firearms, James decided to become a gun for hire called Artillery after being dishonorably discharged from the Marine Corps. He has since formed a group of deadly mercenaries to assist him. [Currently Incarcerated]
- Claudia Blood (Claudia Cruor) - A powerful and ancient vampire that harnesses dark magic, Claudia Cruor or Claudia Blood as she is often called wants nothing more than to conquer humanity. She has remained silent for centuries before deciding it was finally time to use her army of vampires to rule over humans with an iron fist. [Currently Incarcerated]
- Circuit Board (Richard "Dickie" Chow) - A common criminal with an inferiority complex, Dickie Chow stumbled upon a missed shipment crate from VIPER containing the prototype S.H.O.C.K. suit. Now with power at his fingertips, he decided to use the suit to further his criminal activities as the villain Circuit Board. [Currently At Large]
- Breakneck (Matthias "Matt" Domanski) - A sadistic speedster that has only recently encountered Gold Rush. Needless to say, Gold has made quite the impression and is now on the top of Breakneck's ever growing list of people he wants to suffer. With abilities similar to his, Breakneck may prove to me the deadliest of Gold Rush's foes so far. [Currently At Large]
- Gold Rush's Enemies
Gold Rush tries to stay out of the spotlight as much as he can, and as a result he is not well known to the public. Also having only been operating as a hero since early June 2019, he has yet to truly make a name for himself anyway. He only wants to do good in the world, and fame isn't on his list of priorities. His general shyness further plays a role in his avoidance of being in the public eye, as well as his fear of being scrutinized by the populace. In any case due to his low self esteem, Danny finds it difficult to accept compliments and praise. This means that even if the the response from the public was mainly positive, he would simply feel like their admiration is misplaced and that he was undeserving of it. That being said, the handful of individuals that do know of his heroic exploits seem to think of him as a decent person who is genuinely trying to help as many as possible.